Sunday, March 20, 2011
Pastel Tutup (Indonesian Shepherd's Pie)
I made this for a bakesale after last week's prayer group meeting. Actually this one is closer to the actual shepherd's pie than the pastel tutup, because pastel tutup mostly contains (Chinese?) ear mushrooms and the filling is more watery. I made mine without mushrooms and I added a few tablespoons of flour to thicken the filling, to make it easier for people to eat them (watery filling = messy hands).
Pastel tutup (Indonesian Shepherd's Pie)
makes 35 cupcake-size pies
for the filling:
1 tbsp butter
2 small onions, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
450-500 gr mince of your choice (I used chicken)
3 medium carrots, cubed
75 gr Chinese ear mushrooms, soaked in boiling water
75 gr mungbean noodles, soaked in boiling water
500 ml chicken stock
600-700 ml milk
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp parmesan (optional)
2-3 tbsp flour (optional)
6 eggs, hard-boiled, sliced into 6 slices each
1. Heat butter in a wok over medium heat until it sizzles. Add onion and cook until it softens. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add mince and saute until it is no longer pink. Add carrots, cook until it starts to soften.
3. Pour chicken stock, milk, and seasonings. Adjust the salt, pepper and sugar to your taste. Cover and cook until mixture boils and reduces.
4. Drain mushrooms and mungbean noodles, and add into wok. Add parmesan, if using, and flour, a tablespoon at a time, to thicken the filling (you may not need the whole 3 tbsp of flour).
5. When mixture reaches the desired consistency, turn off heat and let cool.
for the mashed potato topping:
1kg potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into halves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
60 gr butter
50 gr parmesan
10 gr milk powder
150 gr cheddar, finely grated
1. Boil or steam potato until tender. Mash and mix with the other ingredients using a food processor. Adjust seasonings as necessary.
1. Preheat oven to 225C on broil mode.
2. Line muffin tray with foil cups. Divide filling evenly among cups. Top with a slice of hard-boiled egg each.
3. Spoon or pipe the mashed potato mixture over each cup. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top starts to brown.