Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mocha Steamed Cake

Steamed mocha cake

When I have one or two leftover egg whites, I would (by default) bake cat's tongues to use them up. But this time I had leftover egg whites from about 12 eggs. I could be swimming in cat's tongues with that much eggs!

Steamed mocha cake

I looked up for egg white cakes on Google, but nothing really interested me. Then I found a recipe, a three-layer steamed cake with chocolate and coffee flavours. Looks promising, though in the end I made a good deal of substitutions.

Steamed mocha cake

Sadly, I never really bake sponge cakes successfully. I am always paranoid of overmixing (when adding the flour) and deflating the batter that in the end, I didn't mix them enough. And now my cake has white polkadot streaks all over it. Sigh.

Steamed mocha cake

The recipe also mentions to level each layer before steaming so that the cake will have even layers, but I was quite in a hurry - it was steaming hot on the day I made this cake - that I just wanted to finish everything as soon as possible and run away from the kitchen. Promise me you'll make them much prettier that what I did here.

Steamed mocha cake

Mocha Steamed Cake
300 gr egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
130 gr caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
150 gr plain flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
30 ml oil

2 tsp cocoa powder + 1 tsp hot water
3 tsp instant coffee + 1 tsp hot water
(you could use more cocoa or coffee - please adjust to your liking)

1. Sift together salt, flour, and baking powder. Preheat steamer if necessary. Line a loaf pan with baking paper, or if your steamer is not big enough to accommodate a loaf pan, use little pans like I did.
2. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar until bubbles appear. Add sugar by heaping tablespoons, whisking constantly on high speed (you may reduce speed when you add the sugar to avoid splatters). Whisk until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
3. Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture. Incorporate using a spatula.
4. Divide batter into thirds. Add cocoa mixture to one part, add coffee mixture to another, and leave the other one plain.
5. Pour batters into prepared pan(s) alternatively, so that it forms a layer cake. Level each layer if necessary.
6. Steam for 35-40 minutes (or until a toothpick test comes out clear).
7. Cool on pan for 30-40 minutes, than cool completely on a wire rack.

Steamed mocha cake

1 comment:

6!u3@ho!ic said...

seriously, i think it's very nice in d photo..=) i'm going to try this after the CNY =)