Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake

blueberry crumble coffee cake

How often do you wish for more than 24 hours in a day?

Now I start to think whether I've been spending too much time wishing that one single impossible wish, that 24 hours seem to pass away even faster. I have no idea. I have no assignments, I have no lectures anymore, I have no job yet, but I'm still running out of time. Okay, I'm not literally jobless: I am working on a website, I am volunteering as an website admin for another nonprofit organization, and constantly monitoring job sites. Plus attempting on few recipes.

blueberry crumble coffee cake

And even without any proper job, I still need more time. Gosh. Or perhaps I won't need more time after I have a job because I simply can't be bothered to do all those unnecessary hobbies that don't earn me cash.

Anyway, after such a long void of blogging, I accidentally came across an old photo folder yesterday. Then I remembered that I have few baked goods un-blogged... including this blueberry crumble coffee cake. It was originally Smitten Kitchen's Big Crumb Coffee Cake, with a lot of changes here and there that Deb might not even recognize the cake as hers anymore.

blueberry crumble coffee cake

Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake
makes 1 8-inch square cake

For the crumbs:
70 gr raw sugar
1/16 teaspoon salt
55 gr butter, melted
100 gr plain flour

For the cake:
80 ml sour cream
2 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
120 gr plain flour
100 gr caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
85 gr softened butter, cut into 8 pieces

150-200 gr blueberries
2 tbsp plain flour

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease an 8-inch-square baking pan. Toss blueberries with flour and set aside.

2. To make crumbs: in a large bowl, whisk sugar and melted butter until smooth. Then, add flour with a spatula or wooden spoon. It will look and feel like a solid dough. Leave it pressed together in the bottom of the bowl and set aside.

3. To prepare cake: in a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, egg whites and vanilla. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add butter and a spoonful of sour cream mixture and mix on medium speed until flour is moistened. Increase speed and beat for 30 seconds. Add remaining sour cream mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition, and scraping down the sides of bowl with a spatula.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Scatter blueberries on top of batter.

5. Using your fingers, break topping mixture into crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over cake. Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean of batter, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool completely before serving.

blueberry crumble coffee cake

2 comments:

Monica Adriana said...

hi j, nice to have you back! :)
yeah, 24 hours is never enough for coding, semangat!
anyway, i love crumble cake

CakeMistress said...

Looks lovely! Now I know exactly what to make with the leftover berries in the freezer. Thanks!