Thursday, July 1, 2010

St. Louis Un-gooey Butter Cake

st. louis un-gooey butter cake

I was curious with this so-called gooey cake, but I was taken aback with the amount of butter and sugar in the topping... so I decided to bake the base yeast cake only. Which yields an un-gooey bread.

st. louis un-gooey butter cake

I was a bit surprised to find my dough not as sticky as Deb's, but it was my fault. I wasn't aware that in the first step, Deb mixed the milk with water. As water was not mentioned in the ingredients list, I skipped that step. Thus the dough was bread-like, elastic and pliable. The end result was more like a scone than a bread or a cake. Duh. I'll try this recipe again soon, and I'll tell you how it goes with the right amount of ingredients.

For now, I'll add the water into the list of ingredients, just to make sure no one will do the same stupid mistake I did!

st. louis un-gooey butter cake

St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake (base yeast cake only)
taken from Smitten Kitchen

45 ml milk at room temperature
30 ml water, warm
1 3/4 tsp active dry yeast
85 gr unsalted butter at room temperature
40 gr sugar
1 tsp kosher salt (I used 1/2 tsp regular salt)
1 large egg
210 gr all-purpose flour

1. In a small bowl, mix milk with water. Add yeast and whisk gently until it dissolves. Mixture should foam slightly. (Very slightly in my case.)
2. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter, sugar and salt. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat in the egg.
3. Alternately add flour and the milk mixture, scraping down sides of bowl between each addition. Clark doesn’t say to do this, but I switched to a dough hook at this point to beat dough on medium speed until it formed a smooth mass and pulled away (just a little, my dough was still very soft) from sides of bowl, 7 to 10 minutes.
3. Press, stretch and nudge dough into an ungreased (original recipe suggests this; I found that my topping stuck a lot and I really had to cut around it with a sharp knife; I will grease mine next time) 9-by 13-inch baking dish (see Note above about baking dishes) at least 2 inches deep.
4. Cover dish with plastic wrap or clean tea towel, put in a warm place, and allow to rise until doubled, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

st. louis un-gooey butter cake

5 comments:

Christine said...

This "Un-gooey" cake got me interested. LOL. Thanks for the tips. Can I share it with my Foodista friends?

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J said...

#christine: sure! :) but remember to use the water - it made a huge difference (just did another attempt at the bread this morning)

dawsonfelicia張君dawsonfelicia均 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

Christine said...

Thanks J! I did remember the water. Mine looked awesome. I forgot to take a picture of it though. I told my friends about it and they got interested too. I showed them your blog.

If you wont mind I'd love to guide my Foodista friends to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in their pages and it's all set, Thanks!