Friday, March 12, 2010

Yogurt Brownie

yogurt brownie

Still on the purpose of finishing tubs of yogurt before their best before date, I made a (very) small batch of brownie.

yogurt brownie

Yogurt Brownie
40 gr plain flour
15 gr cocoa powder
40 gr caster sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp instant coffee
30 gr oil
80 gr yogurt
shaved white chocolate, to garnish

1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a 4-inch tart pan (with removable base) or muffin pan.
2. Mix fry ingredients together and make a hole in the center. Pour oil and yogurt, stir until just combined.
3. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top is no longer shiny. Cool completely before garnishing and cutting.

yogurt brownie

The brownie is a bit too soft to my liking - it is not dense and fudgy enough at room temperature. However, when I ate it chilled few hours later, it was much better. Not a substitute to the usual (full-fat) brownies, but it was not as bad as I had expected.

yogurt brownie

9 comments:

wendyywy said...

With that ratio of yogurt to flour, definately it'll be soft.

Looks pretty good with those shavings of white chocolate on top.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Your brownie look pretty and beautiful, I bookmark this. Thanks for sharing.

Emi said...

Your brownie is very beautiful! I love the decor in chocolate!

hannah said...

this looks simply divine!

J said...

#wendy: yes, and I'm currently trying to get a better texture by playing with the ratios :)

#all: thank you! couldn't understand though why none of my photos are accepted in foodgawker recently. dull when reduced in size, they say. what should i do to avoid this? help! :(

Food Gal said...

I've never tried yogurt in brownies. Can you taste the tang of it much in the brownies? Also, you might want to try Greek yogurt or strained yogurt. That way, the brownie might be a little firmer.

J said...

#Food Gal: yes, a little. Here I was using regular yogurt. I don't know what will happen using Greek yogurt (I heard it's more tangy, isn't it? Rarely buy it, can't remember the taste).

I tried making this again with increased amount of sugar (50 gr instead of 40 gr). This way it was not tangy at all.. Probably replacing the oil with melted butter with also make it better. And thank you for the suggestion to use strained yogurt.. I might try it next time! :)

Maria said...

Love the yogurt!

Hannah said...

Oooh, miniature brownies! So cute, and such a fantstic recipe for when you just need a little sweet hit, but don't want the whole pan lying around... brilliance!