Monday, March 22, 2010

Chocolate Cookies

chocolate cookies

Few days ago I posted that disastrous lemon-raspberry bars as my MSN profile picture. One asked if it was a berry hot cross bun. Well, I could see why he thought so - the X cut in the middle of the bar. Then another came up with more interesting question: "Is that the yogurt brownie you talked about?"

I was speechless. Okay, I admit I am quite a disastrous baker. And I don't need everyone to understand the ideas in my mind, which most of the time never work out. I don't need everyone to understand the difference between muffins and cupcakes and friands either. But when that red and yellowish thingy was translated as a brownie, which generally speaking (unless there is some language in the world that translates "red" as "brown") is dark and black, I started to question myself: are my photos that bad? Do I overbake things that even a lemon bar could look dark on somebody's screen?

Then the conversation continued with a suggestion "why don't you make melon bars instead? Melons are sweet, right, so it must be better...", which made me truly, and literally, speechless. Melon and lemon might be an anagram, but come on... They are very different in texture. And while I can accept melon ice-cream, melon bars are just, oh my God. I feel as if lemon bars are the stupid-est thing on earth to bake, that even such an almost-nonexistent melon bars are still worth more to try. Honestly, that conversation just put me off, mostly with that guy and with the lemon bars a little (I had wanted to bake another batch the next day, but suddenly lost my interest). And I promised myself I'm not gonna go into any discussion with that guy over food. I'll keep it as short as possible.

chocolate cookies

I know I might sound soooo irritable and sensitive. It's just lemon. Come on, J. Yeah, okay, just lemons. Somehow it just hurt. Probably it was just an oversensitive day. Or perhaps the heat. Or perhaps the fact that a couple days before, my (new) flatmate got kinda clueless of why I take photos of my food. "You take photos of your food? What for? To print and hang them on the walls? Ha-ha." For heaven's sake, I didn't know how to answer. So I just replied, "Nah, they're for my blog", to which she replied "Oh" with (still) a puzzled face. Okaaaay, I shouldn't expect everyone to be IT nerds who care to keep virtual diaries just to befriend some strangers they never meet, true? Another lesson of the day. Keep 'em coming, folks.

Now, thank you for bearing with my rumblings. Or maybe you just skipped through the story to read the recipe. I don't care. It feels good enough to finally pour my heart out somewhere. While chewing on some chocolate to lift up the mood.

chocolate cookies

Flourless Chocolate Cookies
90 gr dark chocolate, chopped
30 gr white chocolate, chopped
30 gr peanut butter
20 gr sugar
1 egg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
30 gr almond meal
5 gr cocoa powder
1/8 tsp baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
2. Melt both chocolate and butter on a bowl over simmering water. Remove from heat.
3. Add sugar and stir with a wooden spoon. Add egg and vanilla extract.
4. Mix in dry ingredients and stir until smooth. Drop by tablespoons on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 12 minutes (do not overbake or cookies will be dry).

chocolate cookies

9 comments:

wendyywy said...

I know how u felt.
Some people just give idiotic suggestions and comments. Never try their food, it might make u sick. U never know what they might experiment with. Some people I know say I do my blog for self gratification, that people will praise me and make me feel good. That is not true, and I ignore them.
.

Monica Adriana said...

j, sabar yaa.. mgkn dy emg beda interestnya kali ma kita. biarkan saja, u're doing ur pictures and posts very nice kok. i love them! tetep semangat yaa.. :D

J said...

#wendy: lol, I agree with you! We blog because we love food and we want to share our ideas with others :)

#monica: hooh, anjing menggonggong kafilah berlalu.. ahahaha *sok puitisss*

Maria said...

These cookies are making my mouth water!

.inon. said...

well, you know what i say screw 'em! hahaha both ur guy-who-doesnt-appreciate-food and the new housemate..

everyone else loves them, the picture and the blog, i love them too :)
next time you bake or make sth, don't give it to your housemate, give them to me! :D HAHA

J said...

#inon: hahaha kesempatan dalam kesempitan ini ceritanya? :p

meinekueche said...

lemon meal itu apa ya???

meinekueche said...

baru nyadar kl salah nulis....maksutnya almond meal itu apa yaa??

J said...

#meinekuche: almond meal itu almond bubuk.. bisa bikin sendiri kok, dari almond yang diblender :)

almond bubuk bisa diganti bubuk kacang yang lain juga. kadang2 aku kalo pas ga punya stok, diganti tepung malahan.. hehehe. semoga membantu!