Thursday, February 4, 2010

Yogurt Cake

yogurt cake

My mom is a cake person. She loves anything cake-like. She loves muffins, cakes, brownies, even cheesecakes (though she doesn't really like cheese in general). And when it comes to cakes, she loves it moist. Unfortunately my oven is not that friendly.

Then I saw this recipe on Nova tabloid few days ago. It was a muffin recipe, but it was made with a creaming method. The pictures of the end product looks moist and tempting. Just like my mom's favorite blueberry muffins from Bali Bakery (a very moist, cake-like muffin with fine, regular crumbs).

Upon my dad's request for a late-night snack last night, I decided to try this recipe with a bit of tweaking. Surprisingly, it came out very moist, despite the burnt sides and tops. My mom even copied this recipe into her recipe book, with double exclamation marks on the title.

Yogurt Cake
makes 1 7 or 8-inch cake
100 gr margarine or butter
150 gr caster sugar
2 eggs
200 gr plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted margarine)
125 gr yogurt
125 gr milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

add-ins: chocolate chips, raisins, etc. (options)

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and flour a 7 or 8-inch baking pan. Sift together plain flour, baking powder, and salt (if using). Mix together yogurt, milk and vanilla extract, stir until smooth. Toss the add-ins (optional) with 1 tablespoon of plain flour.
2. Cream margarine or butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. Add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add the optional add-ins.
4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes.

yogurt cake

2 comments:

wendyywy said...

When I make cakes using creaming method, but muffin proportions, I call them muffin cakes :)

http://wendyinkk.blogspot.com/2009/05/orange-yoghurt-muffin-cake.html

Creaming method makes the texture better, and uses less leavening. Using muffin's proportions makes the cake healthier with lesser fat content.

Cherine said...

I am like your mom, I love cakes. Yours look delicious. I will definitely try it!!