Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bika Ambon

bika ambon

Another attempt at this classical problematic cake. Oh yes it is. Even my mom got suspicious at all the attempts and recipe researches I make. She probably thinks I'm trying to win someone's heart with this. No, mum, unfortunately not. I'm just curious. Then she ended the conversation with a deep sigh, "Well, this cake is not easy, even since I was little... That's why anyone who could make this right is able to make good sales." Now tell me, how could that sentence not encourage me to try until I get the perfect one?

bika ambon

I used a new pan this time, neither Happy Call nor the ordinary nonstick pan. The one I was using is a special pan used for carabikang, lumpur, or bika ambon. The bika ambon came out wonderful, although it is somehow too tender to my taste. I would like them to have more visible "fibres" (like this, for example) and firmer bite. I think I'll try a different recipe next time. But so far this is the best bika ambon I have ever made. But hang on, there was some black thing on a corner of the first photo...*

bika ambon

Bika Ambon
adapted from Joy of Cooking, with few changes.

for the sponge:
1 tbsp instant dry yeast
20 gr sugar
15 gr plain flour
75 ml water

for the batter:
200 gr tapioca flour
175 gr caster sugar
8 egg yolks
350 ml coconut cream
3 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
1/2 tsp salt

1. For the sponge: mix all ingredients, then set aside until doubled in size.
2. Boil coconut cream with kaffir lime leaves and salt. Cool then remove the leaves.
3. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick. Add the sponge, cooled coconut cream, and tapioca flour. Make sure the coconut cream has cooled to room temperature or it will kill the yeast. Cover with plastic wrap and let proof for approximately 2 hours.
4. Grease a bika ambon pan and heat it over medium heat. The pan is ready if the batter sizzles when poured. Fill each cavity with enough batter, leaving 1/4-inch border on top.
5. Turn down heat to low when bubbles appear on top. Cook uncovered until a toothpick test comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes in total.

bika ambon

*that's the one I tried to bake using the oven. A huge failure, I have to admit.

bika ambon

10 comments:

Tuty said...

J,
First of all, kudos for your endeavor in making this temperamental cake.

Perhaps the heat needs to be reduced in order to allow the "fibers"/texture to develop and give a golden brown crust.

Tuty@ScentofSpice.com

chenmarlin said...

J, kamu punya sudah lebih baik dari buatan saya, saya sama sekali ngga ada sarangnya, beberapa kali coba bahkan coba pakai yg instant, tetap gagal, kira2 berapa lama panasin loyangnya yah?.

當你離開之後 said...

很用心的blog,推推哦 ........................................

eliza said...

looks good from the photo Jen, I can't even do it that good myself ;)

www.notesfrommyfooddiary.com

J said...

#tuty: I'll try that :)

#chenmarlin: pokoknya sampe waktu dituang bunyi "cesss" gitu, mungkin sekitar 10 menit over medium heat kali yah. biasanya sih aku coba tuang adonannya dikiiiit aja buat ngetes.

#eliza: hehe thanks mbak :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

I love bika ambon! But I've don't have the mould, so won't be making this.

You've got a great blog, will be visiting often ;-)

Yiyi said...

Hello J, I cam across your blog recently from wildyeast. Kudos!

How many Bika Ambon does this recipe make?

J said...

#Yiyi: around 10 or 11 of that size.

chenmarlin said...

J, saya sudah berhasil bikin, rupanya harus lebih sabar nungguin sewaktu memanggangnya, sampai bagian atas adonannya berlubang lubang.

J said...

#chenmarlin: iya, musti sabar. kalo keburu ditutup nggak isa berserat soalnya..