One of my dad's favorite. The only thing is, he said that this batch does not taste as good as the others I made before in Melbourne. It's difficult to track down what the possible causes are: we used different brands of oats, dessicated coconut and butter, the brown sugar in Indonesia is not as moist as the one in Australia, and again, the oven is (still) difficult to tame.
taken from Taste.com.au
1 cup (150 gr) plain flour
1 cup (90 gr) rolled oats
1 cup (85 gr) desiccated coconut
3/4 cup (155 gr) brown sugar
125 gr butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Sift the flour into a large bowl. Stir in the oats, coconut and brown sugar.
2. Put the butter, golden syrup and 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until melted. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda.
3. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
4. Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place on the trays, about 5 cm apart.
5. Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack so it cools completely.