Another carrot cake. This time I didn't do it alone. There was a friend, Noni, who is as crazy about carrots as I do.
180 gr oil
120 gr caster sugar
80 gr brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
240 gr plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
550 gr carrots, grated
100 gr walnuts, roasted and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
2. Beat oil, caster and brown sugar until well combined. Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla extract.
3. Fold in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the carrots. Add chopped walnut.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
For the icing:
250 gr cream cheese, softened
80 gr butter, softened
300 gr icing sugar
1. Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add enough icing sugar until desired sweetness and consistency.
We brought these to the weekly prayer group. Some asked for more, some said they were too sweet... Noni and I both think that the cake (with the icing) was a tad too sweet. Next time I make these, I'll reduce the sugar for the cake to 250 gr in total, and 250 gr for the icing.