Monday, November 30, 2009

"Water Roux" Bread

"water roux" bread

I was browsing for a good milk bread recipe when I came across this new method of bread baking. Intrigued by the look of the bread's fine crumb, I decided to give it a try.

"water roux" bread

"Water Roux" Bread
recipe from Do What I Like

for the tangzhong (roux):
Mix 1 part bread flour with 5 parts water. Cook until mixture reach 65C. Transfer into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to prevent skinning.

for the bread:
250 gr bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
25 gr caster sugar
1 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast
80 gr tangzhong
50 ml scalded milk
60 ml water, warm
25 gr butter

1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a hole in the center and add the other ingredients.
2. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down and rest for 10 minutes. Shape or put into a lightly greased and floured baking pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for another hour.
4. Preheat oven to 180C and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Honestly, it is not as soft and light as I had imagined. It was not bad, but considering the additional work of making the roux, I probably won't ever make this anymore.

"water roux" bread

4 comments:

Food For Tots said...

Your bread looks perfect to me! I had used this method to make cheesesticks for many times. It worked well for me. Really soft and fluffy even overnight. If you tried a few times, I'm sure you will get it right. Keep up the good job.

Stephanie said...

hi i would really like to try this bread but Ive never heard of tangzhong
could you explain what that is? ThAnkS!

wendyywy said...

It's never easy to make Asian breads... as compared to Western breads, as Asian breads needs all the kneading and kneading to make it really really soft. Good biceps work!
I usually knead by hand for more than 30 minutes to achieve that window pane stage, if not the bread will not be soft. It's made me so tired that I haven't been baking Asian soft breads for more than 6 months since I've succesfully made them.

J said...

#food for tots: thanks for the encouragement.. I'll try these again!

#stephanie: sorry,i myself dont speak chinese. But from the descriptions in the original recipe i'm pretty sure 'tangzhong' means 'roux'.

#wendy: thanks for the tips, that might be the key!