Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cat's Tongues

cat's tongues

I still don't really understand whether their original name is "langues de chat" and "lenguas de gato". Those two names seem to get mixed up a lot. The only thing I know is, I had wanted that crunchy buttery cookies, but I ended up with ones that are chewy in the middle. I suspect it's because the recipe calls for whipped egg whites. Next time I'll try not whipping the egg whites before adding it to the butter mixture and see how it goes.

cat's tongues


Cat's Tongues
40 gr butter, softened
40 gr powdered sugar
1 egg white
30 gr plain flour
30 gr cornstarch
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cocoa powder (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 180C and prepare a baking tray.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk egg white until stiff.
3. Add whipped white to butter mixture. Mix until almost combined. Add vanilla extract.
4. Sift together flour and cornstarch. Mix gently until well combined.
5. Combine a little of batter with cocoa powder, if using. Pipe onto prepared baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.

cat's tongues

7 comments:

tatabonita said...

Ah, meow cookies... One of my fav cookies on the previous Eid-ul-Fitr Jen... Btw, I love idea of placing your meow cookies in that antique box *LOVE the box too :D*

ATigerInTheKitchen said...

These look just gorgeous! (Beautiful presentation.) I can't wait to try the recipe...thanks for sharing.

wendyywy said...

Lovely cookies.

I have a Cat's Tongue recipe in of my cookbooks, and it says to beat the egg whites with some cream of tartar until stiff, and it is folded in last into the dough. Just like as u suspected. :)

If the cookie is still chewy, it could be underbaked,it happens to me at times, so I place them back into the oven, and dry them up at a low temperature of about 130 for 10-15 minutes.

wendyywy said...

Sorry, I didn't notice that it was the other way... U want to try not whipping the egg whites next time.
Haha!

Maybe u can try the drying method I suggested. Hope it helps u.

Lucy said...

Never seen these before but they are beautiful, love them in your box! Sound deliciously moreish too :)

Peggy said...

Never heard of these before, but they look tasty!

J said...

thanks all :) and thanks wendy for the tips, I'll try it next time.