Sunday, November 1, 2009

Caramelised Banana Cake - Second Take

Caramelised banana cake

My parents had approved the first attempt, but they were a bit too dense. Banana cake are supposed to be so, but still... it was tad too chewy to me.

This second attempt was very much different. The batter was very runny and the resulting banana cake was not bread-y at all. I could even eat it as a dessert. Not the typical banana cake, but still interesting, especially the crisp crunchy crust. I really, really love that part.

Caramelised banana cake

Caramelised Banana Cake
60 gr butter
20 + 40 gr caster sugar
1 (175 gr) banana, thinly sliced
1 egg
90 gr plain flour
10 gr cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking soda
180 ml buttermilk

1. Caramelise the banana: heat 20 gr sugar with 1 tsp water until it starts to caramelise. Add banana slices, cook and mash until they soften. Cool.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C and prepare a baking pan. Sift together flour, cornstarch, and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Beat butter and 40 gr sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and caramelised banana. Beat on low speed until combined.
4. Add flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk in 3 additions, ending with flour mixture.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.

Caramelised banana cake

9 comments:

onecaketwocake said...

I love banana cake and I've never thought of this. It sounds delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll have to try it soon...

J said...

actually i have filed another one, the third attempt.. but havent got time to blog it. will do it soon and let you know :)

wozzel said...

Hi J,

I'm so glad I came across your blog today. I have recently discovered that I love baking! hahaha. Now my mom and I send each other recipes from work all day and swop ideas etc.. So thrilled to come across this and will be trying out a few of your recipes!

iheartcakes.wordpress.com said...

Mmm, this looks just perfectly dense! Would love a bite of that right now...

J said...

#wozzel: nice to know you... i hope you'll like my recipes!

#iheartcakes: could i just exchange a slice for your brownie? they look sooo tempting :)

tatabonita said...

Jennyyyyy........ Dikau suka sekali sama acara karamelisasi ya??? Hehehehe. Jen, yang semangat blogging yo! Aku leren ngeblog sek iki, nyekripsi hihi, do'akan cepet kelar yo Jen. Go go go arek Malang! Semangat Jen! Go go go aremanita blogger!! Hehehehe (kok dari kemaren2 aku suka jd pemandusorak yo :D)

J said...

sakjane lek karamel tok aku mblenger, tapi lek dicampur sama pisang mboh opo'o kok dadi ngefans banget hahaha :p

semangat yo skripsine! ndang lulus maringono sekolah masak :))

JWorrall said...

The cake looks and sounds superb.
There's something very appealing about a banana cake with a crispy crust. Well done J.

Cheers, Jim.

whisk-kid said...

The texture on this looks amazing. I love the fact that you caramelized the bananas, too.