Thursday, October 1, 2009

Banana Yeast Bread

Banana yeast bread

When there is a mushy brown-flecked banana in my pantry, I will start frantically searching for a recipe. Somehow I am never tempted to eat it as is for the sake of using up. The first question that comes to my mind will always be "what can I make with it?"

This one was made out of curiosity. Everyone loves banana (quick) bread. But why is it that banana yeasted bread are not popular? To be honest, I love yeasted breads more than the quick ones - their aroma and flavor and texture are just different.

Banana yeast bread

Banana Yeast Bread
200 gr bread flour
1 tsp instant dry yeast
20 gr caster sugar
150-160 gr banana puree (from 2 medium bananas)
40 ml milk
20 gr unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt

1. Combine bread flour, yeast, and caster sugar in a bowl. Make a hole in the center. Add banana puree and milk. Mix well.
2. Add butter and salt. Mix until dough is smooth and glossy - it will be very sticky. Cover and rest for 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down and set aside for 10 minutes. Grease and flour a baking pan.
4. Spoon dough into the prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth the surface. Cover or spray with water (to prevent skinning) and let rise for 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 180C. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cover with foil to prevent excessive browning.

Banana yeast bread


I'm making this for YeastSpotting.

10 comments:

seemie said...

It looks interesting! Did you eat is as a dessert or not?

Graziana
http://www.erbeincucina.it/

J said...

#seemie: no, I ate them for breakfast.

mimicooks said...

So... you never mentioned if you liked it or what it tasted like? I may have to make it just to find out, it looks great!

J said...

#mimicooks: sorry, but I was just not sure how to describe it in words :) it's a bit more dense and chewy than the ordinary white loaves, but it has a nice banana flavor. It's not too sweet, that's why I prefer to eat it as breakfast and not as a dessert. Hope this helps!

mimicooks said...

Yes, thank you! It sounds intriguing! I bet it would make a great breakfast bread, but now I'm thinking it might make an excellent peanut butter sandwich too. I may need to try this recipe soon!

Susan said...

I'm with you, never tempted to snack on that overripe banana. You can put them in the freezer whole with their skins on, in a plastic bag. Yeasted banana bread, what a wonderful concept! I'll bet it was terrific for breakfast.

J said...

thanks Susan, I'll try that :)

jenn-o said...

I have this rising right now...can't wait! And I think I'll use the leftovers tomorrow for French toast mmmmmm :-)

juventia_jesica said...

Indeed... I am looking for a banana yeast bread recipe....

Nick said...

This is very good bread not too sweet and excellent flavor.