Thursday, September 17, 2009

Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake

Aussie fresh produces are love-and-hate to me. I love them because they are really delicious and fresh. The carrots are bright orange with smooth skins, the strawberries are plump and juicy, the leafy greens are just beautifully green and big and take only a little time to cook, etc., etc. I think I could write an essay on this. Wait. No, not an essay. That'd be too much... But I think you got the idea. I just love how they look as perfect as the pictures of them I used to learn in kindergarten.

Believe it or not, the same thing was B's reason to hate them. He believes that those ideal-looking produces are the ugly-looking ones. He believes that those perfect ones are genetically modified and not organic and whatever-biological-thingy I don't really care about. Maybe someday I will. But hey, if people can develop something that could make food more interesting and tasty, why should I say no?

Even my parents are mad about them at the moment. This is their first time to Australia, and the fresh produces are really amazing to them. As you might have guessed, yes, since they arrived here, my fridge are always full. We buy practically every kind of fruit and veggies at least once. They even asked me to bake carrot cake, something that they would say "eeeww... You sure?" back in Indonesia. Amazing, I know. But who could resist those sugary-sweet chubby babies?

Carrot Cake

Carrot Cake
120 gr plain flour
60 gr caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
160 gr carrots, finely grated
60 ml milk
2 eggs
60 gr butter, melted and cooled

1. Preheat oven to 180 C and prepare a baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, mix grated carrots, milk, eggs, and melted butter.
3. Make a hole in the center of dry ingredients and add carrot mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
4. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked.

6 comments:

Hillary said...

I'm a sucker for carrot cake. Have you tried making carrot cake with chocolate chips? It's even better!

Hillary
Chew on That

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! I love carrot cake!

J said...

#hillary: i never did, but what's not better with chocolate? :) i'll definitely try that, thanks!

Lone Acorn said...

Nice collection from a 20 year girl. This is the first visit to your blog and I am flattered. Both food and images are out of this world. Great work !!

Gattina said...

your cake is totally lovely, I'd love to give it a try. What baking tray size you use? but I guess I can estimate it later :D

J said...

#gattina: I think mine is around 15 cm in diameter :)