Monday, August 3, 2009

Whole-wheat Strawberry Bread

whole-wheat strawberry bread

I hate seeing something opened in my fridge or pantry which is left unfinished. In short, I hate leftovers. Although frankly speaking I give quite a loose meaning to "leftover": anything left unfinished. Less-than-half jar of jam is a leftover, although it won't expire until perhaps next year. Half pack of dairy goods (cheese, butter, etc.) is also a leftover, because B once told me not to keep them opened for too long in the fridge.

That morning I opened the fridge and found an almost-empty jar of strawberry jam. I had kept it on purpose - strawberry jam is a good basic pantry stuff for, say, layered cake. Just add some buttercream and you'll ready for a company! But apparently, butter cake is never my favorite cake, and that idea of making layer cake had never come true. When friends come to my house, I had always baked something else, and perhaps will always do so.

So I gave up and decided to finish it that morning. It was Sunday. A nice weekend should start with a nice breakfast, right? Oh, and healthy too...

whole-wheat strawberry bread

Whole-wheat Strawberry Bread
100 gr plain flour
100 gr whole-wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
180 ml milk
50 gr butter, melted
100 gr strawberry jam, warmed (I mixed it with the butter and melted them in the microwave)
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease and flour a baking pan.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together plain flour, whole-wheat flour, and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, mix together milk, butter, jam, and egg. Whisk until combined.
4. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and add milk mixture. Stir until dry ingredients are just moistened.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.

whole-wheat strawberry bread

4 comments:

tatabonita said...

Strawberry always beautifies our picts :D

Angelic Arena said...

I hadn't heard about Strawberry bread of any kind before, but it seems to me that it would taste good :]

Gulchathaii said...

I tried it and it was just delicious, thanks a lot :)
I posted a picture of it and added a link to your blog. Check out my blog if you want to :)

J said...

#gulchataii: glad to hear you liked it as much as i do! :)