Friday, August 28, 2009

Bolu Kukus (Indonesian Steamed Cake) - Revisited

bolu kukus (indonesian steamed cake)

I've made this before. "bolu" is the more correct way to call this gems, because it means "cake". "kukus" is "steamed", so, yeah, this is a steamed cake. I modified the recipe a bit because I plan to use no more than 100 gr of flour. If I literally halved the recipe, I'd have to use 1 1/2 egg yolks and 1/2 white. My goodness, I don't care about halving an egg yolk!

The only problem I got was the Sprite. I couldn't buy only a single can of Sprite in Woolworths, so I used Solo instead. Somehow the batter was thicker, bubblier, but less sweet than the one I made before (using Sprite in Indonesia). I guess that is due to the carbonate content - I once heard that soft drinks in Indonesia have the lowest carbonate content compared to the other countries.

bolu kukus (indonesian steamed cake)

Bolu kukus
yields 5

1 egg
90 gr caster sugar
90 gr plain flour
50 ml lemon-flavoured soft drink (I'll try 60 ml when using Solo next time)
1-2 tsp cocoa powder

1. Prepare steamer. Line roti kukus moulds with parchment paper.
2. Beat egg and caster sugar until thick and pale.
3. Fold in 1/3 of the flour, then 1/2 of the sprite. Gently mix. Repeat with remaining flour and sprite, ending with flour. Mix thoroughly until batter is free from lumps.
4. Divide 1/3 of the batter into a small bowl and add cocoa powder. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
5. Spoon white batter into moulds. Swirl a little of the chocolate batter. Steam for 20 minutes on high heat.

Notes:
- it is okay to steam the cakes in several batches - it is best to steam them in small quantity at a time. Unlike common cake batters which should be baked immediately, this batter can stand quite long.
- do not open the steamer at the first fifteen minutes. Peeking can cause the rising of the cake to stop.
- some people use the usual muffin pans for this cake and it turns nice too... haven't tried it myself though.

bolu kukus (indonesian steamed cake)

5 comments:

Parita said...

I have never made a steamed cake before and this sounds so simple..will definately try soon!

J said...

and dont forget to tell me how they turn out! :)

Alice said...

Hi there! I'm wondering where did you get the thin cup mould? I live in Portland, Oregon. Thanks! It looks yummy!

J said...

Hi Alice,
I am sorry but I have no idea where you might buy the moulds in US, since I bought mine in Indonesia.

You could try using the usual muffin cups if you would, but the cupcakes might not rise as much.

hheng said...

Hi, I tried your recipe, but the bottom part is hard, the top part is alright. Am I missing something?
Thanks :)