Monday, August 10, 2009

Bacon, Cheddar, and Carrot Buns

Bacon, Cheddar, and Carrot Buns

When I was home for holiday last June, my mom was asking me, "Which type of ham do you usually use as bread filling?" Well, honestly I have no idea. There were heaps of ham in my local supermarket's fridge. I pointed out the smoked one, because I thought at least it is already smoked and my mom wouldn't have to cook it again. (Hang on, doesn't ham always come smoked? I'm pretty sure it does...) It was surprising, because my mom is never a fan of western food. Later she told me that she had wanted to make ham-and-omelet stuffed buns like the ones I loved when I was little.

So there I was this morning, staring at one lonely slice of bacon in my freezer. Suddenly I just remembered my mom. I'll just bake some buns! (YeastSpotting, here I come again...) To compensate the guilt of stuffing such fatty stuff into my buns, I added a small carrot. There.

Bacon, Cheddar, and Carrot Buns

Bacon, Cheddar, and Carrot Buns
makes 9

for the dough:
130-140 gr bread flour
1 tsp yeast
1 small (60 gr) carrot, peeled, finely shredded
1 egg yolk
60 ml water
20 gr butter, softened
1/8 tsp salt

for the filling:
4-5 slices bacon (I only had 1 slice and it was enough only for 2 1/2 buns - see picture)
8 slices processed (American) cheddar cheese

1. In a large bowl, mix flour and yeast.
2. Add shredded carrot, egg yolk, and water. Mix to combine and knead until almost elastic.
3. Add butter and salt. Knead until elastic. Put in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise for 1 hour. Meanwhile prepare the bacon (see picture below): cut into slices and place on a muffin pan. Bake in preheated 200C oven until starts to brown.
Bacon, Cheddar, and Carrot Buns
4. Punch dough down. Set aside for 10 minutes. Roll into 25 x 40 cm rectangle. Lay slices of processed cheddar on top of the rolled dough in a single layer.
5. Roll dough up. Cut into 9 thick slices and place in the middle of bacon 'wrap's. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes.
6. Bake in preheated 180C oven for 15-20 minutes.

Bacon, Cheddar, and Carrot Buns

Please do not try this if you are looking for a healthy bread. The carrot will never compensate the bacon and cheddar slices. But then again, I believe everything is just about balance.. So go bake them and just add 10 more minutes to your jogging time!

7 comments:

tastestopping said...

I'll admit, I was intrigued by the combination of bacon, cheddar and carrot, of all things. But since bacon is being paired with everything from peanut butter to chocolate to lip balm these days, I thought, let's see what she's up to. But! You answered the question for me quite nicely. The carrot is a nod toward your health. Okay, a small nod, but noted just the same. :) We have carrots in our garden finally ready for harvesting, so this may be a great way to use them. (Hey, we always have bacon in the house!)

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Heidi said...

Wow, these look so good! You could probably make a healthier version, using wholewheat flour and low fat cheese and lean ham... but I don't think they'd be as nice, haha.

Kristilyn (The Domestic Goddess) said...

Looks very interesting! We rarely have bacon in the house, but I'm tempted to buy some to try this. :-)

K

Susan said...

Thank goodness for carrots, hm? Seriously, I love the way you've nestled the roll in the bacon. That is just a gorgeous photo.

mimicooks said...

Beautiful photos as usual!

J said...

thanks all :-)

Belzy said...

haaaaa......this is another recipe I would like to try. Hmmmm....I became addicted to try recipes in ur blog Jen!!! Anyway, I specially bought bread flour cos I saw lots of bread's recipes here :). I'll let u know when I baked them ;).