Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Sultana Bread Pudding

Sultana Bread Pudding

"When life gives you lemons, make lemonade."

What if you get half sultana bread left? (No, I didn't keep my bread uneaten for one week, I just haven't got time to blog it!)

Sultana Bread Pudding

Sultana Bread Pudding
1/2 sultana bread, cubed
75 gr caster sugar
3 eggs
375 ml heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp rum
20-30 gr sultanas

1. Grease and flour a baking pan (I used 2 mini loaf pans and 2 muffin cups).
2. Arrange bread cubes in prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, whisk caster sugar and eggs until sugar is dissolved. Fold in cream, vanilla extract, and rum. Whisk until combine.
4. Pour over bread cubes. Set aside for 20-30 minutes for the bread to soak up the liquid. Meanwhile preheat oven to 180C.
5. Sprinkle pudding mixture with sultanas and bake for 50-60 minutes or until custard is set. If the top browns too much, cover with aluminium foil. Serve warm with warm rum sauce.

Warm rum sauce:
20 gr butter
60 ml heavy cream
40 gr caster sugar
1 tbsp rum
1/8 tsp salt

1. Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add other ingredients and heat until sauce boils.

Sultana Bread Pudding


Again, this post is submitted to YeastSpotting.

5 comments:

denise, the prime magpie said...

Oh me oh my -- I saw the pic on Tastespotting with the bread pudding. Delightful! Can it be winter yet, so I can enjoy that with a hot cup of tea???

J said...

#denise: don't wait until winter - make it now! (umm, i am not responsible for any weight gain... :p)

Texas Dreamer! said...

Those look totally insane. Thanks for sharing!

talat said...

What a great way to use leftover bread. I think I'd made the sultana bread just to be able to turn into a pudding. It looks so good and the syrup doesn't hurt either ;)

Jackie at PhamFatale.com

Susan said...

I love bread pudding and this looks fantastic. The last photo with the syrup is amazing.