Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sultana Braided Bread

I've been back in Melbourne since last Thursday and I'm kinda homesick right now (don't worry, I don't even shed a tear). Well, I guess that happens to most international students (at least to my Indonesian buddies here). It's just kinda hard to accept that I have to be apart from my dearests for another semester.. Plus, I miss all those cute props I am able to use at home. Coming back to my apartment means having to use that white carton background again.

However I seem not to be able to stop cooking. Sorry for the unappealing photo, by the way. I was just lazy to think about what to put in the frame to add a nice touch to my bread.. Should I scatter sultanas all over the table? No, I don't want to clean up the mess afterwards. And to be honest, breads are never my favourite photo subject.. I never really have any idea how to make them look pretty. Suggestions please!

Sultana Braided Bread

Sultana Braided Bread
250 gr bread flour
2 tsp instant dry yeast
50 gr caster sugar
60 gr sultanas
80 gr potato, steamed, mashed
70 gr milk
2 egg yolks
40 gr butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
1 tsp milk
10-15 gr sultanas
1 tbsp sugar

1. In a bowl, mix flour, yeast, sugar, and sultanas.
2. Make a hole in the middle and add mashed potato, milk, and egg yolks. Knead well.
3. Add butter and salt, and mix to incorporate them into dough. Knead until elastic.
4. Cover with a plastic wrap and set aside until doubled, about 1-1 1/2 hour.
5. Punch dough down, set aside for 10 minutes. Divide into 4 portions and roll each one into a 25cm-long rope. Braid as you would braid hair. Wet the ends, pinch them together, and tuck under the braid.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 180C. Remove plastic wrap. Brush top of bread with milk, sprinkle with sultanas and sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Of course I'm submitting this to YeastSpotting.

7 comments:

G├ęssica Rocha said...

Very nice pic, J! Because of it, I'm hungry now... =D
Greetings from Brasil!

J said...

thanks for the kind words, Gessica :)

Susan said...

I actually think that is a most gorgeous photo.

Madam Chow said...

Those pictures look fabulous to me! My photography is something I want to work on. Like the addition of the potato water in the recipe - makes for a moist bread.
Madam Chow
http://www.mzkitchen.com

Richa said...

The bread looks so fresh and mouthwatering! i think the picture is already saying a lot more than what you want it to say! Happened upon here from Yeastspotting! Keep posting!

mimicooks said...

Beautiful bread. The recipe sounds delicious.

Thip said...

I like your photos, less is more. :)