Exams are coming... Isn't that a great excuse to snack more? I'll just say my brain needs extra energy supply, and my tastebuds need more munchies to keep my mood up despite all the books...
Whole-wheat Garlic and Basil Breadsticks
500 gr whole wheat flour
2 tsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
275-300 ml water
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 tsp dried basil leaves
sea salt and/or freshly ground black pepper (optional)
water (to brush)
1. Mix flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a big bowl.
2. Make a hole in the center, add water and egg. Combine and knead until elastic.
3. Rest dough for 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and dried basil. Knead until they are incorporated into the dough.
4. Transfer to a lightly-oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Punch dough down then set aside for 10 minutes. Meanwhile grease or line a baking tray with baking paper. Now it's up to you to decide the size of each breadstick; mine was about 6-inch long and they weigh about 10 grams of dough each. Roll each portion of dough to get a stick shape. Put into prepared pan. Repeat until dough is all used up. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 200C. Brush each stick with a little water and sprinkle with sea salt and/or freshly ground black pepper, if using. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
The egg made those breadsticks a bit chewy and soft - they reminded me of pretzels, actually. So please go ahead and shape them as pretzels if you wish. Or you can omit the egg and add extra water to make them more breadstick-like. I am planning to try them, but if you happen to try before I do, please do inform me how they turn out!
P.S. : I'm submitting this one to YeastSpotting.