Thursday, June 18, 2009

Black Forest Scrolls

Isn't it annoying? I kept thinking about black forest when I was studying about domain forests for my System Administration exam last week.

So, yeah. I'll bake some for my afternoon tea.

Black Forest Scrolls

Black Forest Scrolls
makes 8

Dough:
200 gr bread flour
20 gr caster sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
2 egg yolks
110 gr water
20 gr butter, softened
1/8 tsp salt

1. Mix bread flour, caster sugar, and instant sugar in a bowl.
2. Make a hole in the center. Add yolks and water. Mix and knead until elastic.
3. Add softened butter and salt. Knead again until elastic.
4. Put in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside until doubled (approximately 1 hour). Meanwhile, prepare filling (recipe follows).
5. Punch dough down and set aside for 10 minutes. Grease and line a 9-inch round pan.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out into 8 x 8-inch rectangle. Spread filling over dough, leaving 2 cm border on each side.
7. Roll dough up. Cut into 1-inch thick slices. Arrange the scrolls on the prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for another 30 minutes.
8. Bake on preheated oven at 180 C for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and drizzle with icing (recipe follows) while still hot.

Filling:
150 gr cherries (drained weight - please drain well or your scrolls will be soggy!), coarsely chopped
1/2 lemon, zest of
30 gr caster sugar
50 gr milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 - 1 tsp cornstarch (optional)

Combine chopped cherries, lemon zest, sugar, and milk chocolate in a bowl. Mix until sugar dissolved. Add cornstarch if mixture is too runny.

Icing:
60 gr icing sugar
2 tsp water

Combine icing sugar and water in a small bowl.

Black Forest Scrolls

This one is also for YeastSpotting.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Mmm, chocolate and cherries, nothing better to get your mind off domain forests :)

Miriam said...

I love cherries and they are in season here... looks like a wonderful way to use in a sweet bread!

Cheers!

J said...

true :) and i'm left with half jar of cherries now - still brainstorming on how to use them up :)

Elra said...

LOL, I am glad I am done with school, though I want to go back to study something else, but at least for now I don't have to worry about exam!

Your scrolls look really scrumptious. Perfect for weekend breakfast.

J said...

#elra: oooh please nooo. lol. I am really excited that next semester I'll be in my third year - only two more semesters of studying.. hope I won't fail any subjects! :)